Saturday, November 7, 2009

Changing My Luck...

I just got back from Las Vegas and the BlogWorld Expo ’09. If you’ve been following along on my little blog, this might come as a distinct surprise. What’s an old-school TV production slave doing at a high-tech blogger convention? Adapting, that’s what. Apparently, there’s this thing called the internet and lots of folks are now gathering around this new campfire to get their info and entertainment. Shocking! And it turns out that underneath all the fancy lingo, it’s basically radio and television and newspaper all rolled up into one shiny “new and improved” package. (Yeah, the advertising biz is in there, up to its old tricks as well.)

So, the fact that I have too short of an attention span to specialize in one area of production is finally paying off. I can write and I can produce and I can yell at editors and I can calm divas and I can build a convention booth and I can make buttons with one of those hand press badge makers. Oh, yeah, baby, I can do it ALL! Which, it seems, is the secret to success in cyberspace.

Now I’m multi-tasking across the media spectrum. I’m still shooting interviews for various outlets like the BBC, I’m still writing for the John Tesh Radio show, and I’m still doing what I can for the Motion Picture & Television Fund. But as of today I am officially taking off on another adventure – I’m the new Managing Editor of WhatGives.com. (balloons fall from ceiling; confetti cannons erupt)

It’s all very exciting and I hope it’s a journey that leads to a more focused life. I have been working for others my entire life. Helping others bring their ideas and dreams to fruition. I’m ready to be a little more selfish and try to make more visible what I care about. So you’ll be hearing about non-profits and giving back. And you’ll be hearing about history and new science. HEY, WAKE UP. This is great stuff, people…

No comments: